It's about time...
It has been a crazy 100+/- days since the closure of Real Food Connections and their marketplace for local food. In that time Locavore Foods has been very busy defining itself and trying to create a new entity from what was left. New founders, Jason Lejeune and Sean Dunbar, have been working with our team every day and helping us craft a disciplined yet impactful plan that will build a future we should all hope to see in the region.
The mission remains the same. "To make foods grown in the region more accessible for the people that eat in the region". The change is that we are not focused on operating a retail location, a distribution network or a produce box program. We are focused on our strengths in the kitchen. We are excited to work with operating retailers, restaurants and institutions that are great at operating that end of the business. We hope to bring them great and unique products made directly with the whole foods grown on local farms.
We began in late December and Early January with re-opening the Picaroon's Roundhouse Cafe that was a project nearing completion by the Real Foods team as well as a newly revisioned local food cafe in the old Real Foods store in Uptown Saint John. Those locations are currently in full operation and are offering seasonal, fast-casual menus that are over 80% locally sourced every day.
This second phase of our plan is to start offering our new prepared meals, soups and other unique creations direct to the customer through our newly launched website (That's Today!). This new program is all focused on a simpler system, high quality products and ease of use.
- All products can be picked up for free or delivered to your door for a small fee.
- All orders are fully self contained and ready for pick-up/delivery.
- Menus are released each week and you can select the exact meals you want to get each week for your particular diet.
- You can set any of our programs to be re-occuring and change your order at any time.
Check out all of the details HERE!
As we launch this phase of the plan we are also working on phase three which involves working with assisted living homes, schools, hospitals, hotels and restaurants to help make local foods "easier" for them to adopt through the power of our kitchen. I can't wait to share future success stories with you all.
This week's Meals menu are as follows
- Beef Cottage Pie - Grass Fed 21 day aged ground beef sauteed with onions, carrots and garlic and topped with a dairy free mashed potatoes. NO ADDED GLUTEN, DAIRY FREE
- Lentil Cottage Pie - Garlic sauteed lentils, and a blend of seasonal winter veggies topped with a dairy free mashed potatoes. - NO ADDED GLUTEN, VEGAN/DAIRY FREE
- Chicken Curry - House South-Western Indian curry sauce with carrots, sweet potatoes, pastured roast chicken and served with brown rice. NO ADDED GLUTEN, DAIRY FREE
- Chickpea Curry - House South-Western Indian curry sauce with carrots, sweet potatoes, tender chick peas and served with brown rice. NO ADDED GLUTEN, VEGAN/DAIRY FREE
- Felafel and Quinoa Cassserole - a blend of veggies, fresh made chickpea felafel, canadian-grown quinoa and a savoury tahini sauce. NO ADDED GLUTEN, VEGAN/DAIRY FREE
- Beef Chili Cheese Bake - A hearty grass fed beef chili with preserved local tomatoes served on top of roasted local potatoes and topped with sharp cheddar cheese. NO ADDED GLUTEN
- Veggie Chili Cheese Bake - A hearty veggie, 3 bean chili with preserved local tomatoes served on top of roasted local potatoes and topped with sharp cheddar cheese. NO ADDED GLUTEN, VEGETARIAN
- Sweet and Sour Pulled Pork on Brown Rice - House sweet and sour sauce with a dash of our Picaroon's Irish Red BBQ sauce all on top of our 7 hour braised pulled pork and served with brown rice and heirloom carrots.
This Week's Soup Menu
- Split Pea and ham - NO ADDED GLUTEN, DAIRY FREE
- Vegetable Chicken Soup - NO ADDED GLUTEN, DAIRY FREE
- Beef Chili - NO ADDED GLUTEN, DAIRY FREE
- Veggie 3 Bean Chili - NO ADDED GLUTEN, VEGAN
- Southwestern Style Squash and Pumpkin - VEGAN, NO ADDED GLUTEN
- Curried Carrot and Parsnip - VEGAN, NO ADDED GLUTEN
- Smoked Chorizo and Vegetable - NO ADDED GLUTEN, DAIRY FREE
- Cajun Sweet Potato and Parsnip - NO ADDED GLUTEN, DAIRY FREE
- Creamy Tomato and Sweet Potato - NO ADDED GLUTEN, VEGAN
- Squash and Apple Bisque - NO ADDED GLUTEN, VEGAN
- Garden Vegetable and Tomato - NO ADDED GLUTEN, VEGAN
Cheers to eating local and eating easier!
Locavore Foods Kitchen Manager